Phillip "Phil" Petrillo was the brother of Gloria O'Connor-Petrillo and Dorothy Zbornak, with Salvadore "Sal" Petrillo and Sophia Petrillo as his parents. He was an in-and-out cross dresser. Unfortunately, at the age of 55, he suffered a heart attack and died. His wife is Angela Petrillo. He was never portrayed by anyone. In Episode "A Little Romance" it is mentioned that Phil has ten children, six of them that are boys who give up their room for Sophia.
Since Phil was an unseen character his details are thin but this Biography is based on the fragments that we have of him.
Born in 1935 in Brooklyn, to Sophia and Salvadore Petrillo, Phil was dressed in Dorothy's Baby hand me downs which Sophia believed he would grow out of.During High School however he was still wearing dresses, when Dorothy's old teacher came to visit, he apologised to Sophia that they couldn't fix the problem with the dress code but Phil did wear male clothes from time to time, he wore a suit one Halloween. He married Angela whom Sophia with her feud called 'Big Sally' trying to say that she was trashy, they lived in New Jersey in a Trailer Park. During the time of the series Phil was the unseen character, clearly Dorothy and Sophia would reference to him like they did other unseen family members. Sophia would complain that he rarely called and that when he did call he used a pay phone.In the episode Golden Moments, Angela left him and while Sophia rarely visited, she did go when there were problems, during the episode the girls try to convince Sophia to stay but she has a lot of cons and pros but just as the girls are about to give up,Sophia tells them that Phil and his wife are together again.
Death and Aftermath Edit
Phil died in 1990 of a heart attack while trying a dress on, he was 55. At his Funeral Dorothy said that he looked like he died in a Benny Hill sketch. Dorothy is asked to give a eulogy, she breaks down in anger as she never expected to give this eulogy. To try to mend the past Phil's wife Angela spends a week with the girls and finds out why Sophia never visited as much which upset Phil, Sophia claims it was because she never got the dowry from Angela's father for a feeble $47. When Angela gives her the money clearly there is something more, Rose manages to get the truth, Sophia was ashamed of Phil's cross-dressing and was angry that Angela never stopped it, Rose reassures Sophia that nothing mattered as he was loved by her, Sophia breaks down and she makes up with Angela as she admits that Phil is gone.
- He was nursed until he was 12. He wanted to come home from school during lunchtimes.
- He was Dorothy's opposite in knowledge, as he cared little for books while Dorothy was the overachiever.
- Sophia revealed that every Christmas he makes her a model of the Nativity in Cheese.
- Phil was a fire starter as a kid which Dorothy thought was the reason Sophia left her in charge.
- Only one of his kids was named Harvey.
- While in A Little Romance Phil is meant to have 10 kids but in Golden Moments there is 6 (Angela took 4 with her) there might 2 reasons, one the writers have made one of many mistakes again, or two the missing 4 kids had grown up and move out.
- When the script for Phil's funeral was sent to the cast, actress Estelle Getty, who played Sophia, asked for jokes her character were to give at Phil's coffin cut. Getty felt that mothers would never do this, and the jokes were considered too homophobic in nature. The writers acceded to her request.