Empty Nests was the 26th and season finale episode of Season 2 of The Golden Girls, also the 51st overall episode of the series. Directed by Jay Sandrich and written by Susan Harris, it premiered on NBC-TV, originally airing on May 16, 1987.
The episode was a backdoor pilot for what would eventually become "Empty Nest."
Paul Dooley and Rita Moreno guest star as neighbors of Blanche, Dorothy, Rose and Sophia contending with family and friends in this initial spin-off pilot idea for Empty Nest.
In this unused backdoor pilot for another series, which before the massive idea, character, and cast retooling, served as the inspiration for the actual Golden Girls spinoff series Empty Nest, the girls' friend Renee is feeling depressed and lonely with her children all grown up and have moved out and her husband's workaholic habits.
- George Corliss - Paul Dooley
- Renee Corliss - Rita Moreno
- Oliver - David Leisure
- Jenny Corliss - Jane Harnick
- Chuck - Geoffrey Lewis
- The concept was extensively retooled with different characters, recast with different actors (though David Leisure was retained) and became Empty Nest.The set used for the Corliss' house was used as the Westons' house in Empty Nest.
- Many fans consider this episode to be the worst episode of the series.