"Empty Nest" is an American television sitcom that originally aired on NBC-TV from 1988 to 1995. The series was created as a spin-off of The Golden Girls by creator and producer Susan Harris. For its first three seasons, Empty Nest was one of the year's top 10 most-watched programs. It was produced by Witt/Thomas/Harris Productions in association with Touchstone Television.
StorylineEditThe storyline is set in Miami and tells of the day to day misadventures of a widowed pediatrician, Harry Weston, and his two adult daughters, Barbara and Carol Weston, who have come back to live with him after failed marriages. Much of the humor is derived from Barbara and Carols' ongoing attempts, and failure, to find the perfect partner, and once again leave the "nest". There is also the skirt-chasing next door neighbor, Charley Dietz and Harry's southern nurse, Laverne Todd, unique for her unbelievable Hickory stories.
- The series ran for seven seasons, from 1988-1995.
- Aired in a programming block with sister shows The Golden Girls (1985) and Nurses (1991). All three shows were created by Susan Harris and took place in Miami, Florida. On several occasions the shows featured interwoven story lines (such as a hurricane), in which characters from all three shows would interact.
- After the cancellation of The Golden Palace in 1993, Estelle Getty joined the cast of this show, reprising her character of Sophia Petrillo for two seasons.
- Richard Mulligan as Dr. Harry Weston
- Dinah Manoff as Carol Weston
- David Leisure as Charley Dietz
- Park Overall as Laverne Todd
- Kristy McNichol as Barbara Weston
- Bear the dog as Dreyfuss the dog
- Marsha Warfield as Dr. Maxine Douglas
- Bea Arthur as Dorothy Zbornak
- Betty White as Rose Nylund
- Rue McClanahan as Blanche Devereaux
- Estelle Getty as Sophia Petrillo
Appearances by The Golden Girls charactersEdit
- Season One
- Episode 4: "Fatal Attraction" - Blanche becomes romantically interested in Harry.
- Episode 10: "Libby's Gift" - Sophia comes over with a noise complaint about Harry's organ playing.
- Episode 14: "Strange Bedfellows" - Rose comes over to return flyers Carol put up in the neighborhood.
- Episode 17: "Dumped" - Dorothy's nephew Jim begins dating Barbara but then dumps her, which causes friction between Dorothy and Harry.
- Season Two
- Episode 6: "Rambo of Neiman Marcus" - Rose must repair Harry's car after she hits it.
- Season Four
- Episode 8: "Windy" - Sophia stops by to warn Harry about the impending hurricane. (Concurrent with "The Monkey Show".)
- Episode 20: "Dr. Weston and Mr. Hyde" - Rose stops by for some romantic advice.
- Season Six
- Sophia appeared in all 26 episodes of this season (Estelle Getty became a series regular).
- Season Seven
- Sophia appeared in all 24 episodes of this season.
- ↑ Rosenberg, Howard (October 8, 1988). "'Empty Nest' Looks Like Good Place to Nestle Down". LA Times. http://articles.latimes.com/1988-10-08/entertainment/ca-3135_1_empty-nest. Retrieved 2010-08-23.
- ↑ Haithman, Diane (November 24, 1990). "'Empty Nest': TV's Unknown Hit". LA Times. http://articles.latimes.com/1990-11-24/entertainment/ca-4578_1_empty-nest. Retrieved 2010-08-23.